Monday, August 8, 2011

She hugs me (a difficult story of me asking hard questions while embracing soft hugs)

The hands, the dirty hands, grab at my heart and pull.
I feel like pulling away, like smacking the dirty hands away and running.
But then I make eye contact with the eyes that belong to the dirty hands
And it's my sister.
She tells me nothing, she just hugs me.

But I cannot breath.
Because my sister's hug, her dance, her cooking, and her nervous laugh
tell two stories.
One is the story of a little ballerina, free to pick the flowers, free to jump into her dad's arms.
Another is a story of her left alone in the field, where even the trees scream "WHORE!"

My sister's hug, with her dirty hands, is suffocating.
Her hands pull at my heart
and it hurts.
But if I smack her hands away and run, in order to breathe as easily as I did before,
then I reject her hug.
And I will have to run forever to forget her tears.

If I stay in her soft embrace,
Then I have to accept her two stories. Two stories that don't make sense.

If I continue to love the one I see as the precious dancer in the pink dress,
then I have to accept that the dirty hands who touched her
will pull me apart too.

Can I stand in the field with her, with my ballerina, while the trees scream
"WHORE!"?
Even if I never forget her tears? Even if I forever here the accusations?
Even if my heart never beats quiet the same again?

Heavy, I look again at the field,
But this time I see someone. Someone else standing in the field.
At him, the trees are screaming, "WHORE!"
but he is silent.
"WORTHLESS, WRETCH!" they cry.
But he doesn't answer.
instead, he cries.

Confused, I look at my sister,
But she cannot see him in the field.
And she cannot see the hands.
Because the hands, the dirty hands, that are pulling me into the field
are not hers.
They are his.

And these hands, these dirty hands bidding me into the field,
they plead with me:
If you stay, if you endure the loneliness of the field with her,
then she will see.
Then she will see me here.

The hands promise me it will hurt.
The hands promise to embrace us both.

I gasp for air.

I go with her.

And I see that the hands are not dirty.
They are scarred.



how marvelous, how wonderful, as my song will ever be
how marvelous, how wonderful is my savior's love for me.

12 comments:

  1. Mmmmm.

    Thank you for this.

    Praying for you.

    Miss you and them already, so much.

    You are beautiful, and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can hear your voice in this...
    and her nervous laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I praying for you to not only accept the hugs but to cherish them... Thank you for obeying Jesus & giving hugs to these girls. I love you & am proud of you. I am in the Springfield airport & have tears in my eyes.
    I love & miss you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very proud to say I know you. Thank you for being such a beautiful extension of His love. Love & hugs from your PCC family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you! I too am proud of you...thank you for sharing this and being Jesus to those girls...praying that God gives you strength as you continue to encounter tough but amazing times with these girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. You are so special and God is using and stretching you to reach his beautiful and precious children and bring glory to His name. Thanks for letting us into your world. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this precious part of your life with these daughters of our King. You are a light to them, my friend. I believe with all of my heart that God is speaking to them through you...even if no words are spoken and only hugs are given...p.s. your writing is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.p.s. i changed my blog id, so it will now be shown as "sara hogan"..but it's still me ("sara" before)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lorena, lo que escribes es demasiado hermoso - tan hermoso que me duele leerlo. Tu estás si o si en el lugar donde Dios te quiere ahora. Me alegra verte alla, aprendiendo, creciendo, y siendo bendecida de una manera que nunca jamás podrás olvidar. Te quiero mucho, mi amiga. Sigue en adelante, en la mano de Dios.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest friend,

    Your work and your words are beautiful. Tragic and desperate, but beautiful. And the Lord of all creation hears and is with you. I love you. Thank you for bringing tears to my eyes and for sharing stories with us.
    I love you.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren, I just read this... It hit me deep, and it's something more need to hear. So... just to let you know, I may or may not be sharing this with people throughout this year. This is one of the most beautiful and poignant things I've read in a long time. It hurts me to hear it, but I'm so glad God is breaking your heart and forming it more and more in Him right now. Miss you big time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren, i just read this too...
    and it gave me chills.
    this was so beautiful and moving. compelling.
    and it has made an impression on my heart.
    i love you.
    know that i'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete