Thursday, July 28, 2011

When the Jews Partied


We were reading the book of Esther together at Albergue. When the Jews finally get vengeance on their enemies at the end of the book, they celebrated God’s faithfulness. They feasted, and there is one line where it says “and they took care of the poor.”

There are a lot of aspects of the culture here that stretch me.  But one of the most important aspects of life in Bolivia is the collectivism. In this very communal culture, you don’t eat or drink alone. You always invite, especially those in your family. 

So we were out with all the girls, about to leave and there was two little kids hanging by the van who looked pretty raggedy. We had 2 packs of cookies. Tino, who has worked with these girls for about 15 years, asked the girls if we could give them cookies. They cut open the pack, I thought to give them each a few. And then they gave one open pack (open because it was easier to eat) to the girl, and the other pack to the boy.

When the Jews, the underdogs, experienced victory they celebrated with thanksgiving. Which means they celebrated by inviting in those on the outside. It was way cool to watch the girls figure out how to do the same. And even though Bolivia is extremely hospitable, I knew the reason they gave those cookies had nothing to do with cultural trends and it had everything to do with partying with purpose.

Prayer pleas-
For wisdom and creativity to appropriately spur on community in the house (I have pent up RA in me screaming to get out…)
For my heart, and yours. I am going to start translating my girls stories. Looking sexual abuse in the face while hugging the victim is not something I pretend to be capable of.
Praise- My stomach is getting much better!
Praise- My host family is amazing.
Praise- I get to see 2 beautiful faces of friends from Wheaton this week!

2 comments:

  1. It was great hearing your voice this morning! I miss you. I am so happy Emily is there with you and you will soon see Joy! I know that has lifted your spirits so much!
    We are praying for you!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you...I will be praying for your inner RA to be given a good outlet! Enjoy the visits from your fellow Wheaties...wish I could be one of them!

    ReplyDelete