Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sunshine.


Life is poetry. It’s a dance. It’s a song. It’s sunshine highlighting what was there all along. Life is stopping to look at what the sun illuminates. It’s the moments when the banana and milk juice tastes spicy because someone didn’t wash the blender after blending a hot pepper. It’s when snack time turns into a contest to see who can drink the juice.
Life is the moments when I say “I want a baby that looks like yours!” and she answers, “oh that’s easy!”
It’s moments when my aunt has me guessing what different china dishes she has are for.
Life is needing help and getting it, because God said ask and it will be given.
It’s sharing everything- even really bad colds. It’s teacher and student sniffling miserably over a Children’s Bible and realizing that She is actually learning to read.
Life is sitting with her and hearing her say- I want to tell you that I am really starting to get to know God. I pray to him and then wait for him to answer. And he does.
It’s listening to her explain that she knows one day she will teach other people the bible and she will tell them all what happened to her. And she’ll tell them that God used all that to bring her to Albergue- where she could learn who he was.
Life is hearing: Yes, I was left behind. But it’s because God wanted me here.
It’s is learning to forgive because someone you love was strong enough to do it.
Life is hearing “are you embarrassed of your faith?” and answering “No, my faith in God is my whole life.” Life is seeing her smile and answer “I’m not embarrassed either.”
Life is talking about how she aborted the baby, and it’s promising her that her baby is safe in heaven. And that when she gets there, he will know her and he will know that she loves him. Life is her eventually deciding that God is good because he is caring for her baby.

Life is wondering at the sunshine, and it’s stopping to think- how did I get here?
Life is poetry. It’s baby Susanna dancing. It’s Beati singing Dios es Poderoso, it’s Ximena laughing and admitting that she likes the other girls.

Sunshine.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren you're such a beautiful writer. Your work and the girls you are with sound amazing! I am so glad for the ways that God is teaching you through these women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    My name is Carol Nayder. My daughter, Jessica and I sponsor a boy in Boliva, Ever Acarapi. He is 8 years old and lives in Cochabamba. He attends the Rios de Agua Viva Sudent Program. The reason I am writing to you is to see if there is any way you could see him and give him a great big hug from Jess and I. Let him know we love him and pray and think about him all the time. I know this is crazy, but I thought about it Tuesday night. Jessica will be traveling to Boliva in June. Our hopes were that maybe she would be near his town. But after the mission trip meeting we realize that this will not be possible. That's when I thought of you. Your father had told the congregation at Parkview (we are members there), that you were doing mission work in Boliva. I don't know why, but I was compelled to try and find you, and see where you were located. And as you can guess, when I saw the town Cochabamba appear I knew I had to try. I realize this might be impossible, I don't know how big or populated the town may be, but if there is a chance to pass on a hug and some love from us to Ever, I will be so very, very thankful. Thank you Lauren, not only for this crazy request from us, but all the wonderful work you are doing.

    With love,
    Carol

    P.S. I am not the smartest person with technology, and I'm not sure you will be receiving this, it's my first time sending a message this way. It might not be proper, but I don't have an email address for you. Ours is nydrz@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... the spice licuado de banana. There's nothing quite like it. :)

    ReplyDelete