Friday, June 24, 2011

Home Take Two



            Mis tias- I have 2 aunts. They are very Bolivian. Very old fashioned. They both are semi-elderly. They are too cute and they both are always sure they always know what is best. They both are so dang loveable. And they both will do anything for me. Their last words will be Comé, comé! (eat, eat) What do you want to eat? Something, anything? The only thing I’ve turned down eating so far was sardines. But tía Mabel hadn’t made it yet and when she asked me if I wanted some, my face gave me away. She started cracking up and said ‘how bout chicken?’
            Tia Eva is more reserved, or at least more quiet. I think she’s amused by me more than not. We’ve had some really great conversations about our faith and lives. We’ve also had conversations where she, smiling ear to ear, calls me out on making up words.
            Daniel is my host brother; Abi, my sister. So far I’ve appreciated their friendship and the way they’ve explained so much to me. They are half gringo, so they understand my perspective. More so than that of their aunts.
            Sunday they took me to church. Sunday evening we went out with some of their friends. (I have Bolivian friends!) Ice cream and the movies. They’ve been awesome about sharing their lives. And friends. One of these friends from church, well they call him “curly.” I tried to do the same but the word I said meant handsome. Oops.
            It’s been really good to take it slow. 2 federal holidays this week= I have had time to adjust to hearing Spanish and I’ve had time to just sit for an hour after every meal and talk to at least one member of my family. I haven’t really started work yet. I’m looking forward to being at Mosoj Yan.
Until then, Bolivia is keeping me enamored- the fruit, family, and politics and all.

Fun tidbits-
FOOD- For breakfast we have yogurt, which is all sold in bags- seriously a good way to do it!, plantains, and cereal with instant coffee in fresh milk. We boil the milk to clean it, but its fresh from the cow!
We eat a big lunch- normally a meat, rice or potatoes, and some kind of chopped vegetable salad. We eat everything on our plates- I mean everything. J People often come home from work for lunch and then go back. Lunch is the biggest most important meal of the day.
Dinner is more like a little snack of fresh bread and some tea. I’ve never been very hungry even by night time. 

3 comments:

  1. Lauren!!!!!
    So fun to hear from you lady!
    Your tias sound awesome... I love picturing you there. I have been praying for you a lot this week.
    Love you and please email me anytime about anything!
    xoxo
    and give everyone at M.Y. muchos abrazos fuertes de mi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "family" sounds wonderful. I am sure they have been fun to get to know & try to understand! How did Abi like the gluten-free snacks? Should I send a little more?
    Dad & I pray for you all the time. I will look forward to hearing your stories from being at the mission.
    We love you & miss you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I had no doubts that you would find many Bolivian friends. Sounds like you have some sweet tias. Much love.

    ReplyDelete